Wednesday, January 6, 2016

KICKING OFF 2016!

The last couple weeks have been a ton of fun!!...  The Dubuque Running Club has had some fun holiday runs including our annual Christmas Light Run and a New Year’s Day run which both had a great turnouts!  It’s very encouraging to see so many people out running on the cold days and we’ve even picked up some newbies over the last few weeks which is awesome to see in the winter!  On top of the fun we’ve had running together it’s also been great networking with all my running friends to coordinate our 2016 races, talk over training plans and compare goals for the new year.

My training has been going well too, I  powered through the holidays and my vacation staying consistent and hitting all my workouts.  I am continuing to build my swim and bike distances while cutting back my running mileage and focusing on higher intensity workouts.  As I’ve stated before I was skeptical cutting back my running so much but the evidence this plan is working was clear on Sunday when I ran a test 5K Sunday afternoon in a time of 18:10!   While the fitness test was not a PR by any means, it is the fastest 5K time I’ve clocked in over 12 months and I felt very comfortable throughout…  a very good sign for the upcoming spring races!   The workout Sunday marked the halfway point in my current training plan which will go through the end of this month and finish at the Iowa Games 5K on January 31st.  After that time I’ll have two weeks of unscheduled training before I start up on my trusty Higdon plan for Grandma’s marathon.  It’s crazy to think I’m less than 6 weeks away from spring marathon training and I’m sure it will be here in no time!  I hope you all are getting a good start on your 2016 goals as well and I encourage everyone running Grandma’s Marathon this year to establish a consistent running pattern now so when your training starts you can comfortably adapt.

(a link to my 5K test run is below)


  









I’ll keep this short for now and I’ll follow up shortly with an update on the 2016 National Triathlon Competition I’m doing with the Dubuque Area Tri Club!  

Happy Running!!


-Cory




No comments:

Post a Comment